Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This Will Not Be Like My Other Projects (Repeat 3 Times)

My Latest Project

By: Shaunelle

Hello Nation! And welcome to the official Esplin Family Blog. The first order of business I'd like to take care of is assuming the role of official "Queen of the Family Blog." I know my other family members will approve and support me in this decision. Moving on...

There is a lot of pressure being the first family member to post on the family blog. I mean, besides serving the purpose of keeping the family in touch and up to date on current events we're also hoping that this blog can serve as a sort of "family journal" to share with our posterity. And we really want to impress them. Plus there's my track record with projects to reckon with. It's hard to believe, but besides being the Queen of the Family Blog I am also the Queen of Unfinished Projects. I literally have a drawer full of them at home...sitting there waiting to be finished...one day. Every so often I go through the drawer and get nostalgic and renew my goal of finishing them. Then I smile, close the drawer and promptly forget they exist for another year. There were the cross-stitched hand towels I started in seventh grade. Then there was the skirt I started to sew in eighth grade that ended up being the wrong size so I stopped with only the zipper left. Oh, and the pajamas pants I tried to sew for Rachel at Christmas but ended up cutting out the wrong part of the pattern instead. I had used too much of the fabric and didn't have enough left to finish the pants. (Come to think of it...most of my unfinished projects have to do with sewing.) You'd think I would have learned my lesson but recently the creativity bug bit me again. So I consiously suppressed the memory of all of my past failures and allowed the crazy idea that I wanted to save money by knitting a yellow blanket instead of buying a similar one from Ikea take over. This was a month and a half ago. You can see my progress in the photo above. I've got a 7 inches sewn. Sooo yeah.

This blog will not be like my other projects. I promise. You know why? Because this is a team effort. You see, I have the system figured out. In the past, whenever my sewing expertise would fall short my dear mother would come to the rescue. She would help me see past the tears and frustration, give me a pep talk and then she would finish my project for me. I have at least 2 quilts, a pair of pajama pants and a Christmas skirt to prove it.

I know my family won't let the blog project fail (see now the pressure's on them). Phew. So here's how it's going to go. Each family member will be take a turn posting once every six weeks. We all think that's pretty doable. And now, without further ado (or further confessions about my failures) - -

Tag Mom...you're it. :)

4 comments:

  1. Do all our posts have to be this long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? That is your comment after my fabulous post? No, I already told you there aren't any "rules" for posting. You can post pictures, a quick update, whatever you want. And you'll be happy to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I tell you what wow! Wait I could have had pj pants? umph :(
    -Rach

    ReplyDelete
  4. six weeks seems a tid bit lengthy to me....how am I supposed to cover all that ammount of time plus the fact that I don't have any spare time ever except for right now : ) : ) ps are you so stinking proud that I finally read this?? I know, right?? haha!! LoVe YoU!!
    -LaUrEn EsPliN

    ReplyDelete